Skip to Content
Making a complaint

Making a complaint

Complaints must be made in writing, preferably using the Commissioner's complaint form.

Please carefully read this Fact Sheet if you are about to make a complaint.  It explains important information about what the Legal Profession Conduct Commissioner does and doesn’t do.

In order to make a complaint, you will need to pay a fee of $110 (including GST), or to have successfully applied to have the fee reduced or waived.  You can read more about the fee and the reduction or waiver policy here.

Our online complaint form can be found here.

Before making your complaint to the Commissioner, please consider the following:

  • You may be able to resolve your concerns directly with your lawyer.  You should talk to your lawyer, or the law firm's managing partner, about your concerns before making a complaint.
  • The Commissioner cannot award you compensation.  If you believe that your lawyer has been negligent and you wish to receive compensation, you should obtain independent legal advice.  The Legal Services Commission has a free legal help line that can be contacted on 1300 366 424.   Alternatively, the Law Society has a free referral service: call 8229 0200.
  • The Commissioner cannot provide legal advice or representation. 
  • The Commissioner cannot intervene in court proceedings, or change an order that has already been made by a court or tribunal.
  • The Commissioner cannot prevent your lawyer from suing you for their fees or from taking other court action against you.
  • The Commissioner cannot refer you to a lawyer or make any recommendations as to who you should instruct.
  • A complaint about a lawyer’s conduct must be made to the Commissioner within 3 years of the conduct occurring.  A complaint about overcharging must be made to the Commissioner within 2 year of the final bill to which the complaint relates.  In either case, the Commissioner has a discretion to allow a longer period within which a complaint can be made.

You must make your complaint in writing.  You can use the online complaint form or print a hard-copy complaint form.

If you require assistance with making a complaint, please refer to the assistance services available.

Before making a complaint about inappropriate personal conduct, it is recommended that you read the information on this website about that type of conduct.

This complaint service is independent from Government, the Law Society and the legal profession.