Skip to Content

Making a complaint

If you want to complain about the conduct of another lawyer, you must do so in writing, preferably using the Commissioner's complaint form.

While the majority of complaints we receive are made by the lawyer's client, a complaint can also be made by a third party - including another lawyer, who is adversely impacted by another lawyer's conduct.

From 1 November 2020, in order to make a complaint, the complainant will need to pay a fee of $110 (including GST), or to have successfully applied to have the fee waived.

Any complaint about another lawyer must be made in writing.  You can use the online complaint form or print a hard-copy complaint form.

Before making a complaint, it is recommended that you read the information on this website about complaints.

The Commissioner’s office can discuss your concerns and inform you about the complaints process, however it cannot offer legal advice or express any preliminary view regarding whether your concerns about the conduct of a lawyer may amount to misconduct.

Before making a complaint about inappropriate personal conduct, it is recommended that you read the information on this website about that type of conduct.

This complaint service is independent from Government, the Law Society and the legal profession.